When I was in high school I really struggled with finding myself. I was a chameleon who blended in to whatever my friends thought was cool. I let boys treat me like garbage and I thought I was not worthy of love.
I am now 25 years old. I work with high school girls 2-3 days a week. I see so much of myself in these young girls. The never-ending struggle to fit in and be accepted. This post is dedicated to them.
These are the 15 things I wish I knew when I was in high school.
- You don’t have to change who you are to fit in with the “cool” kids. Cool is a matter of perspective.
- Stop pretending you are something you are not. You don’t have to put on an act to please people.
- It’s totally okay to cry. Let out your emotions. Don’t keep everything bottled up.
- Your parents aren’t stupid. They were teenagers once, they know more than you think.
- Find something you love to do and devote yourself to it.
- Don’t get drunk. I know, I know. A lot of people will say that drinking is just what you do in high school. But why? You don’t have to make poor decisions to have a good time.
- Be kind. Everyone is fighting an internal battle.
- Choose your friends wisely. If your friend is only around when they want something or need a ride, are they really your friend?
- Having a boyfriend/girlfriend shouldn’t be your main focus in life. Dating is fun and great BUT it isn’t everything.
- Stop believing that you aren’t good enough. You are worthy of love and respect.
- It’s okay to say no, even if it’s to the person you are dating. Don’t do anything you aren’t ready to do.
- Stop comparing yourself to the girls around you. If you live life always comparing you will always feel inadequate.
- Don’t be ashamed to tell someone if you are being sexually abused or hurt by someone. You are not to blame for the terrible things people do.
- Try hard in school. There is nothing wrong with wanting to succeed. Be a go-getter! Set goals for yourself and work hard to accomplish them.
- You are capable of so much more than you think. Where you are right now isn’t where you will always be in life. When you graduate high school everything changes. Don’t get so wrapped up in the labels you are given. You are young and you are able to re-create yourself whenever you want.